Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pretty sore...

Last week was a long week.  My friends mom was taken off life support last Sunday and passed away on Monday.  The family allowed me to be there for a time in her last hours and it was so beautiful.  We got to tell her how we felt, and she got to tell us thank you and how much she loved her family.  We had communion around her bed with her and recited the 23rd Psalm.  It was a humbling day.  With the death came some schedule changes so I did not work out for a whole week.  But Thursday, I knew I had to hit again...to keep up the momentum.
Josh, our marine man trainer, had knee surgery on Thursday so Michael, the new trainer, entered mine and Sarah's life.  He is a sweet, curly headed 24 year old young man with an obvious passion for healthy bodies and healthy people! 
We started our little circuit thing..with PLANKS for ONE MINUTE!! Surely this young, curly headed man had been hitting the old crack pipe because that one minute seemed like 10!  I am thinking he had not spoken to Josh about our little 25 sec on 7 sec off circuit training.  That became clear when we had to squat on the wall with the torture ball for ONE MINUTE!!! Everything we did was for ONE MINUTE.  My arms were literally shaking...my legs were shaking and I thought I was going to throw up!  Then, when it was time to schedule the next time...Michael said to just come back on Friday...we agreed..and then WE took a hit off the old pipe for agreeing to come after what had just happened!
Friday, we assumed the plank position to start..then did push ups, step ups, and what I thought was finally going to be some fun with the torture ball..I was incorrect.  We balanced the torture ball on our shins and then did crunches.  After those, 3 sets of 20 girly push ups, and 10 minutes on the elliptical, our workout was complete.  My triceps are still a little sore to the touch but I am grateful to have them.  I also have pectoral muscles.  Totally awesome!
So, even in grieving and pain, I have managed to laugh and cry. As my friend and I sat around talking about her mom and our memories, its funny how what were remembered were not the bad things...just the good things. It taught me to try to think on the good things about myself and other people in a world where we tend to just see the negative..to not beat myself up because I didn't work out all week or because I didn't eat the way that I should have. .its called grace, and its all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment